June 12, 2009

Lutheran Rosary


In 2005, John Longworth, a seminarian at the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, and his wife, Sara, developed a Lutheran Rosary with prayers from Luther’s Small Catechism. 


As I was raised in the Lutheran Church, I found this configuration of beads and prayers quite intriguing.  I am afraid that I do not remember much from my confirmation studies, but I do remember memorizing the 10 Commandments and their meanings.  One thing I did not memorize, but wish I had, are Luther's Morning and Evening Prayers.


The Lutheran Rosary is comprised of 7 meditations:

  • Meditation on the Cross
  • Meditation on the Commandments
  • Meditation on the Creed
  • Meditation on the Lord's Prayer
  • Meditation on Baptism
  • Meditation on Confession
  • Meditation of the Sacrament of the Altar

Each of the meditations include short suggested prayers from Scripture and/or Luther's Small Catechism.  Depending on the time of day, the Longworths have included Luther's Morning Prayer or Evening Prayer at the beginning of the prayers during the Meditation on the Cross.


For Lutherans who question the use of a rosary as a tool for prayer, it is interesting to note that even Martin Luther prayed the Catholic rosary.  In her book Praying with Beads, Nan Doerr explains that Luther shortened the Ave Maria to, "Hail Mary, full of grace.  The Lord is with thee.  Blessed art thou and the fruit of thy womb, Jesus."  As Martin Luther was a Catholic Augustinian monk, this is probably no surprise.  It was not Luther's intent to leave the Catholic Church.  In fact, he did not leave, but was excommunicated.


I thank my grandfather, a Lutheran pastor, for encouraging me to become Catholic when I was married.  For him, it was more important that my husband and I were members of the same church than me being Lutheran.


When I study ancient Christian prayer practices, such as the use of prayer beads, I feel like I am  being reunited with my Christian ancestral heritage.  Those who have gone before us have much wisdom they can teach to us.


Though the Longworths configuration of beads and prayers is referred to as a Lutheran Rosary or Lutheran Prayer Beads, the prayers and meditations would be appropriate for any Christian, even Catholics!

No comments: